Wednesday 20 March 2013

Students as Villains

After seeing all the mess that got left on campus the other day I was thinking in today's tute about portraying the students at UC as being villains that were polluting the campus with their laziness and unwillingness to pick up after themselves. I see it all the time. People go through Maccas drive through then decide to park by the lake and eat because they enjoy the view and feeling of being out in nature. Then when they finish, they just dump all their rubbish out the window and drive off. WTF!?



I wish I was a super hero sometimes so I could deliver people like this the flying head butt they so desperately deserve.

Unfortunately this behaviour seems to be the norm more than the exception in the younger generations and cleaning up after yourself seems to be thought of as being uncool. I wonder what the best way to change this mindset is. Would the threat of violent retribution work best or would the message work better coming from someone that they can relate to? Somebody who is down on their level yet respected enough to be looked up to.

I think that music would be a good way approach. An artist's lyrics and image can reach people in such a way that they are not being told what to do, they are merely being informed and educated and allowed to come to their own conclusions. If people can make their own mind up, it's likely to be a longer lasting lifestyle choice and not just a temporary change born out of peer pressure.

The only problem is that I'm not much of a musician. Sure, I played piano and saxophone when I was a kid, played drums for a while and have been DJing for the last ten years or so....So actually I uh do have quite a bit of musical history and maybe just a little bit of know how.

But the question is:
  Could I produce some music that could help get the sustainability message across to the UC massive?  
In a serious way, relying on deep lyrics and quality musicianship? No.

In a piss taking way relying on lyrical and musical cliche's and delivered in a fun and amusing way? Mmmaybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment